Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Passion

Gymnastics... what can I say? Most people don't let a sport effect their life so much. Gymnastics has truly shaped who I am. For me it is more than a sport (cheesy right?), it was and is one of my biggest passions. I literally packed up and left my home for gymnastics. I have a hard time not relating everything to gymnastics. Justin and I start out talking about music, or some other completely unrelated subject and almost inevitably I make some comment like "that is exactly like how in gymnastics...". It has changed the way I think about so many things. I still can't watch it on tv without getting in the floor to hold my splits or going and working out as soon as the competition is over (sometimes I have to pause it and come back after my workout).

I still remember the first time I saw Natalie do a cartwheel, my heart leapt a little inside. I could tell it was easy for her. I could see the potential in a kindergardener. Since that day, I have been devising ways to push her without pushing her away. Its a very fine line since she is already at the gym almost everyday with me. I don't want her to begrudge the sport. I don't know when I should make her practice as opposed to letting her play. I don't know how to give her that drive that came so easily for me.

Lately I have been trying a new technique, I have been showing her videos of girls her age who are awesome at gymnastics. Basically, I have been manipulating her into wanting to practice (why yes, I am an evil genius), but I have found that if it is her idea, or if she thinks it is her idea, she does much better.

In a world that is becoming more apathetic by the generation, it is really exciting to see passion. Even if that passion is for something that does not stir my heart. I rejoice when I see a young person that is passionate about something that can add to their life. Furthermore, when it is something that I am passionate about, it is hard to contain the excitement that is inside me. I hope that she will develop passion in gymnastics for two reasons; gymnastics is an excellent thing to get passionate about, but also having passion in one area can affect every other aspect of your life.

Here is an example of what she can do when she gets just a little passion:




No comments:

Post a Comment