Saturday, May 26, 2012

The episode of the chipmunk

How do you get to the point where you are standing out by the truck in the middle of the night playing hawk cries on the phone hoping to scare a rodent out of your vehicle? Allow me to enlighten you. It begins when you combine a girl from irrational/impractical family, with a boy from a family that plans everything to a T. You get a massive clash that can lead to crazy thing.
While visiting Merritt (my sister), I went to look at her kittens that are just beginning to stir and venture out of the box. Bethany (my other sister) goes to put the kittens back in the box and realizes that Jasmine (the mommy cat) has got something... a chipmunk. When we finally get the chipmunk free we realize that it is in shock. There are no obvious signs of injury but it is nearly frozen and is alternating between extremely rapid breathing and long gaps with no respiration.
Let me back up to say that I am not one of those crazy people who places the livelihood of animals above that of human beings. I love animals but I also recognize their importance as being below people. With that being said my heart lept within me!! I have always wanted a pet chipmunk. I think it is because they remind me of what I would be like if I were an animal. You never see them sit still and they look like they have so much fun jumping down the road at a pace that seems nearly impossible for their 3in long body. Their tails are always pointing straight up (as a gymnastics coach I like things to be tight) and their ears are almost perfectly round... they are way too cute.
So here I was determined to save this chipmunks life and keep it as my pet. I made a bed for it in a basket my mom brought back from somewhere over seas. And gather things that I think a chipmunk would eat, this included a dried apricot, pecan and frosted mini wheat. I decide to keep it in the truck while we went to eat, hoping that the calmness would help it to come of shock. And boy did it work.
We come back out to the truck only to find the basket empty and the chipmunk hiding under the seat. This chipmunk was smart, not only did it realize how difficult it would be to catch it under the seat, it figured out that it could climb INTO the seat and never be caught, and that is exactly what happened. When I got home I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to come out, trying to figure out a way to stick my hand into the seat and hoping that I did not get some strange infection from a tiny rodent. It did not work.  I could not find it. I decide to leave the doors open knowing that Justin will not like the idea that I brought a chipmunk home to be my pet. I went inside for about 2 hours and assumed that the chipmunk has escaped to freedom. And for 2 days I go on with this assumption, but then Justin sees the chipmunk and I see the foam that is now falling out from under the seat.
It took us leaving the door open for hours in time spread out throughout the next 2 days before it would come out. But then I think it got used to living indoors and not having to worry about any actual predators. It was back in the wild for about 5 hours before Fluzy (my part coyote dog) killed it and left it for us to find in the garage.
So the moral of this story is if you want a pet chipmunk make sure you have a cage not a basket and keep all wild (and domestic) animals away from it.

1 comment: